Skip to main content

Pa Olanrewaju

 



The mornings were always cold, and Enitan was always sad. She was usually unhappy anyway, but living in her new home did nothing to cheer her up. Every morning though, she was betrayed by the sun and somehow, hoped for longer nights. 
The flimsy blanket meant to protect them from the cold and damp earth was never enough.

 She would toss and turn every night hoping that they can be shorter, but when the clouds never got brighter; were so long, the silence when on to remind her of their endless loneliness. 

She often thought of Pa Olanrewaju, an old man from her childhood. He had buried his family and friends on the dead ground, and he used to tell her stories of joy and sadness. He never told anyone how they died, because due to him, brought him even more grief and restarts his healing process. 

So he only remembered the happy times and told their stories to everyone who wanted to listen. He always offered his listeners buttered bread and cold tea with plenty of sugar. He didn’t mind whether she was a 13-year-old girl as far as she was always eager to listen to his stories. That alone made the both of them quite close and inseparable. 

Enitan would smile at one of the most memorable moments she had with him. 

It was a windy evening and it had rained cats and dogs throughout the day. Because of this, many did not go to work and shops were left unopened so it was an overall lazy day. She had sat with Pa Olanrewaju at his favorite spot under a mango tree which was situated close to his wife’s graveside.

“Can we make the tea hot today at least? My palms are cold” She had requested making him chuckle.

“You remind me a lot of Sola,” He said amidst laughter “She never liked her tea cold”. Sola was his wife and he had never spoken about her before. Enitan was wise enough to say nothing because she wanted to hear more. She also marveled at how the littlest of things made him laugh. 

With a faraway look in his eyes, Pa Olanrewaju shook his head and exhaled loudly.

“I know I don't talk about her often and with how inquisitive you are; I know you want to hear more”. He paused and glanced at my tea cup. “Why don’t you go and make that hot first, eh?” After a bit moment of hesitation, Enitan quickly took her cup, filled it with warm water, and returned it to the short stool, watching Mr. Olanrewaju with expect. 

“In as much as people never believed that Sola loved me, I knew what I wanted from her. She was quite young and the last of my three wives. I loved her dearly and although it might sound silly and foolish, I felt that our love was unbreakable, no matter how old I got”. His eyes moistened a bit as he took a sip from his tea reminding Enitan about hers, as she drank from hers too.

“She was the last to die, and I was the last one to bear the burden of mourning and tears. It was my first time mourning alone and I felt my life crumbling right before my eyes. I thought nothing good would ever happen to me again but that was a lie. Sola died on a faithful Sunday morning, the same day you were born”. He said as he peered into Enitan’s eyes and smiled quickly. 

“Really?” she asked.

“Yes. Her death was slow and painful and the most difficult I have had to accept but it happened”.

“But pa, you never told me sad stories before. Is everything okay?”

 “Life is not always about the good my dear”. His stern face softened as he spoke. “The sad is inevitable as well as the good. Like two sides of a coin, we must get familiar with each. Sickness and health, wealth and poverty, life and death”, he took a deep breath and looked up to the sky. 

“Do you know what these signify?” He asked

“You mean the stars”

“Yes”

Enitan shrugged and took a sip of her tea

“I used to think that they were little fireflies when I was younger, but my teacher said that they assist the moon to give us light as night,” she said. 

“Your teacher is right, but you, what do you think they are?” 

Enitan did not understand the question so she did not bother thinking about it.

“I don't know pa” 

“Our loved ones who have gone before us, watch over us through the stars. Why else do you think that they are so many?” He asked even though he was not expecting an answer

“You should always remember that your loved ones are always with you. Whether you acknowledge it or not.


Pa Olanrewaju did not make it the next morning. He died in his sleep, it was peaceful and silent. Anyone who saw him in his bed could swear that he was asleep. 

The bread seller who normally came by to sell to him, was the one who raised the alarm when she knocked on his door repeatedly and there was no answer. She quickly alerted the area boys who broke into his house and lo and behold, met his lifeless body. He was later buried by his church. 

Remembering him 18 years later left her with a bitter-sweet feeling for Enitan. He was no family by blood but she knew that they had a bond stronger than that. 

Then quickly making her way to the window, she drew open her curtains and stared into the dark sky. Then she knew, deep in her guts, that the one that shone the brightest was Pa Olanrewaju, and the one beside it; her newborn baby who she lost two weeks earlier. 

“I miss you both so much” she whimpered and swallowed the lump in her throat. 

That night, she slept with a half smile on her face and did not bother using a blanket. 


THE END.


Benecca’s Tales
2023
All Rights Reserved.

Picture Credit - Freepik

AUTHOR’S NOTE

Long time no story abi? I knowwwww. Phew, it has been so crazy to even get to finish a story. You don’t even want to know about it.

But yayyy we have a story finally. A win is a win lol. 

I am not usually the one to write about deaths but we cannot say no inspiration, can we?

Well, I hope you enjoyed the story. Don't forget to let me know what you think in the comment section. Share too. Thank youuuu❣️

Want to reach out/work with me?

Email - thevanessawriter@yahoo.com

Comments

  1. Beautiful Vanessa. Great Short Story. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful piece πŸ‘πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think in the comments. I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Njideka

  “If the sex ever gets painful, you can use this cloth to message that area with hot water. Very, very hot one eh? Do this so that your body can adapt very fast. You don't want your co-wives overshadowing you even before you start enjoying your husband. Inugo?” My mother said as she squeezed the white towel into my hand, it was obvious that I was reluctant to get a grip of it, but she couldn't care less.  Just before she left my room, she quickly turned around with a scowl on her face and said to me, “Njideka better stop frowning, o. You are getting married tomorrow, and it is a thing of pride for every woman. You will enjoy it, eh? You will!” she hesitated and kissed her teeth in frustration. “Now let me go and see how the cooking process is going, else they won’t make the onugbu soup just like how Mazi Egede your husband likes it. I don't want it to go wrong. See you later and please smile. You are making people gossip”.  She said the last sentence with, I believe, all t

Iya Ibeji

Dear reader, I should not be telling you this, but I hated my husband. No, I love him because he stretches my legs after a long day of carrying his twins around in my belly...but I hate him because I want money, plenty money.  I have Ugochi and Koko plus my twins coming along but Mide wouldn't find a better job. Life has not been rosy and with the twins on the way, he should make life better for us, abi? I mean who still farms in 2019?! O ma se o! ( It's a pity!) When he's not at the farm, he's in front of his depleted old computer irritating me with incessant keyboard taps. Dede, his elder brother visited the today, you had to see how Kikelomo his wife entered my mouth because of her new set of jewellery. Dede is a big trader in Oyo state and Kike, I don't know what she does, and I don't care... But she's the real deal! “Sims trust me, by the time the twins are here, we will be comfortable,” He told me one night after dinner. We were outdoors and the kids,

We Die Here

Jay-Jay sat at one corner of the counsellor's office. Folding his arms and relaxing on the mini couch, he was not ready to fight any more. Even to explain himself again, he dared not. It was hopeless. Rather, Molly, his wife did all the talking. All. “Jay-Jay said he was helping his secretary! How? Barrister Tola you need to see from my eyes. This man is a monster! 5 years of marriage and all I get is a broken and bleeding nose! Hey God! My mother warned...” Anyone who saw Molly that moment would think she raised hell on earth already with Jay-Jay plunged in it. Her voice like subdued thunder, she behaved like a lunatic. It was indeed a messy sight. “Molly, can you have a seat? This session is booked already, and we are 30 minutes gone. I understand the confusion, but I need to have a conversation here. Let's get this done with please!” Barr Tola said as she adjusted her glasses in irritation, she had kept calm but at that point, Molly had to be put in her place.  Molly refused