Skip to main content

We Die Here



Jay-Jay sat at one corner of the counsellor's office. Folding his arms and relaxing on the mini couch, he was not ready to fight any more. Even to explain himself again, he dared not. It was hopeless. Rather, Molly, his wife did all the talking. All.

“Jay-Jay said he was helping his secretary! How? Barrister Tola you need to see from my eyes. This man is a monster! 5 years of marriage and all I get is a broken and bleeding nose! Hey God! My mother warned...”
Anyone who saw Molly that moment would think she raised hell on earth already with Jay-Jay plunged in it. Her voice like subdued thunder, she behaved like a lunatic. It was indeed a messy sight.

“Molly, can you have a seat? This session is booked already, and we are 30 minutes gone. I understand the confusion, but I need to have a conversation here. Let's get this done with please!” Barr Tola said as she adjusted her glasses in irritation, she had kept calm but at that point, Molly had to be put in her place.

 Molly refused to seat, rather she leaned on the wall just opposite Jay-Jay position tapping the sole of her foot on the cold floor continuously, then she would look up and shake her head in pure rage. Furiously wiping the tears from the offending cheek, she would stain the back of her palm with the 'hot red' lipstick which lay firmly on her lips. She didn't care what anyone thought.

Barr Tola took a deep breath and glanced at Jay-Jay. 
His calmness was suspicious. Maybe, he knows what Molly is talking about and still wants her mad, or he is not the type for a gbas-gbos situation, guilty or not. 

“Okay...” She said in a hushed tone and paused. 
“Jay-Jay, are you good?”
 No response, the room was pin-drop silent. The only audience sound was Molly's whimpers and foot taps. Then, Barr Tola gave a sarcastic smile and shook her head. Then, she took off the glasses which hung loose on her old ears. 
Two can play this game.   

"See ehn, E be like say na looking competition we dey so! Cos if na to look, I fit do am and 2 hours go waka. Make we put mouth for this matter abeg!" She outbursted.

“For God's sake, you people are adults, why all this drama?” She said again in a calm voice. 
Then she saw Molly give a slight cringe, this almost made her laugh but she maintained a straight face, regardless. 

Barr Tola glanced around and being comfortable with the new atmosphere, she put her glasses back on opening her note back and clicking her pen open. 
“Jay-Jay, Molly said something about you helping your secretary. Do you understand what she means by that?” She asked.

Jay-Jay cleared his throat and adjusted his tie, wiping a few drops of sweat off his forehead. He hesitated and Molly gave out a light laugh, it was obvious she faked it. Her eyes were hurt, so they didn't concur with the 'happy' lips. 

“He impregnated his secretary! I will say it. Jay-Jay, you are dumb now abi? Lie that she didn't spread those legs for you!” She yelled as fresh tears rained again. 
“Chineke nna! God, please come and intervene because I cannot deal with this again!” She said and wiped the tears off her cheeks. 

“Let him talk, Molly! I already talked to you both privately last week. You had time to say everything and anything. So now, you speak when I ask you to, please”.
 Barr Tola said and rested her eyes on Jay-Jay waiting for him to speak up.

“Barrister Tola. Sadly, My wife does not trust me. At least the trust to give me a chance to explain myself. I have said this before and I will repeat myself, I did not cheat on Molly, I will never!” He paused and wiped the sweat again even though the air condition was working just fine.

“My secretary took in out of wedlock and her parents being difficult people, insisted on meeting the father of the baby before accommodating the girl in their home again. It was a compromising position and I had to help. Asides from the face, all details given to her parents were wrong. I vowed to exempt myself from the condition totally after that day”. 

Barr Tola heaved a sigh and dropped her pen.
“ Why didn't you tell your wife? Also, the broken nose, do you have an idea how it came about?”

“I did not tell her, and it was a mistake. I thought it was going to be a walk in the park because I needed my secretary in my office due to her efficiency and attitude to work. And the broken nose...." 

He paused and shook his head
“Molly went to fight the girl. My 32-year-old wife went to harass a girl yet in her mid-twenties. She got a broken nose in return and my secretary has not been at work for 3 days now. I got the news from another colleague that she is hospitalized.” Jay-Jay narrated maintaining firm eye contact with Barr Tola. 

Being a psychologist and a counsellor with 21 years of experience, Barr Tola knew Jay-Jay was telling the truth.
Despite the sweat, he didn't mince words, and he maintained eye contact. Explaining the story while demonstrating with his hands, she knew his side of the story was valid.

Barr Tola wrote again and clicked the pen close.

“I guess at this point we have come to a resolution. But first, Molly I will like you to...” She said and glanced at the floor, she furrowed her eyebrows and glanced at Jay-Jay who's eyes widened in fear.

“Molly? Molly! Molly, please!” Jay-Jay said in utmost shock and ran to where his wife lay. He shook her vigorously.
 Barr Tola saw a tear drop from his left eye, and she did not know how to feel.

Molly had long slumped and seemed unconscious.

“Her pulse is weak and she still breathes. I call the paramedic department immediately” Barr Tola said and stormed out of her office. 


Benecca's Tales

2021

All Rights Reserved.




Author's Note

Writing "We Die Here" led me through a roller roster of emotions. I must say that it was quite challenging but I'm glad I passed this message across.

Communication is key. In your friendship, relationship, family etc, please always communicate. 

Molly slumped because she had fought the wrong battle not because of bad health. She had drained herself emotionally and physically too. 
Jay-Jay on the other hand, could have avoided all these drama if he had communicated properly.

All characters are virtual and inspired by the song 'Ponmile' by Nigerian Music Artiste Reminisce

I want to know..."Did you learn from this story?"

Leave a comment and don't forget to share.

Thank you for reading!




Picture Credit: ReGain.

Comments

  1. I love this!!!!!! Vanessa you are doing very well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very captivating ๐Ÿ™Œ please I'll be waiting for part 2๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ˜’

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful
    Whenever I read your work I am inspired ...May God bless your efforts Anakor Venny...much love ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work dear. God bless you ❣️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea๐Ÿ˜
    I learnt something
    Communication is key in relationships or friendship

    Omo molly overacted o everything is not fight nah,sha i pray she will not die
    Then jay jay no try communication would have prevented this drama

    I like the story๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are indeed genius

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think in the comments. I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Njideka

  “If the sex ever gets painful, you can use this cloth to message that area with hot water. Very, very hot one eh? Do this so that your body can adapt very fast. You don't want your co-wives overshadowing you even before you start enjoying your husband. Inugo?” My mother said as she squeezed the white towel into my hand, it was obvious that I was reluctant to get a grip of it, but she couldn't care less.  Just before she left my room, she quickly turned around with a scowl on her face and said to me, “Njideka better stop frowning, o. You are getting married tomorrow, and it is a thing of pride for every woman. You will enjoy it, eh? You will!” she hesitated and kissed her teeth in frustration. “Now let me go and see how the cooking process is going, else they won’t make the onugbu soup just like how Mazi Egede your husband likes it. I don't want it to go wrong. See you later and please smile. You are making people gossip”.  She said the last sentence with, I believe, all t

Iya Ibeji

Dear reader, I should not be telling you this, but I hated my husband. No, I love him because he stretches my legs after a long day of carrying his twins around in my belly...but I hate him because I want money, plenty money.  I have Ugochi and Koko plus my twins coming along but Mide wouldn't find a better job. Life has not been rosy and with the twins on the way, he should make life better for us, abi? I mean who still farms in 2019?! O ma se o! ( It's a pity!) When he's not at the farm, he's in front of his depleted old computer irritating me with incessant keyboard taps. Dede, his elder brother visited the today, you had to see how Kikelomo his wife entered my mouth because of her new set of jewellery. Dede is a big trader in Oyo state and Kike, I don't know what she does, and I don't care... But she's the real deal! “Sims trust me, by the time the twins are here, we will be comfortable,” He told me one night after dinner. We were outdoors and the kids,

Breaking Free

  That Sunday evening, I sat in one corner of Papa's bedroom as I watched him scratch his bald head for the umpteenth time.  He would do this and kill imaginary mosquitoes in the air, vigorously slapping his palm against each other. Subsequently, he would pluck out the hairs from his beard and chew on them.  When he looked up and our eyes met for a split second, I could hardly see through his emotions, I could not tell if it was pain, resentment, a cry for help or the three of them at once. On other days when he wanted to be alone, he would sit outside under the mango tree, smoking cigarettes and talking to Pa Josef's goat. He never remained the same ever since Mama left home. It happened two months ago, and I remember the rain that day. It had just finished pouring and even though the clouds were dark and still moving across the sky eager to let down more tears, she stormed out of the house with my baby brother, Ahanna in her arms and never looked back.  I stood there in the