Skip to main content

Muna’s Wrapper




 Dear reader, don’t you wonder how weird things come in handy? Especially when they are part of your deep little secrets. Well, I will tell you about mine if you promise to keep shut.

Over the past few months, I’ve managed to keep my chest flat with a big mummy’s wrapper. It’s my regular ritual that I do under the staircase immediately after I leave for school, and immediately after I get back at the same spot. I’m always extra careful because if big mummy finds out that I don’t wear all the first-grade bras she usually buys from her trips to Enugu-Ukwu; she would use my dinner to feed the dogs.

I always keep the bra in my school bag, so she doesn’t go into my room when I’m gone and finds it in my closet. Yes, I’m that careful.

If you are already proud of my genius invention, then let me give you a discount for your perception. My secret did not last for as long as I thought it would have.

It is all Koko’s fault. Koko. That name still gives me shivers down my spine. I wonder why the meanest people you meet are children. They give no penny for your emotions and mess with your head.

I remember the time she did the worst thing ever to me.

The day I stopped seeing myself as beautiful and wished my round and full breasts could be cut off completely or punched so that whatever even made them big, could pour and drain into Olari river.

Before she did that to me; having round and full breasts in JSS1 was a nightmare. From boys staring absently minded at my chest whenever we discussed, to my classmates calling me “ Munachi big breast, mama mmadu or mummy JSS1”; and to male teachers give me weird or dirty looks. 

No girl in my class had developed breasts and those that did had breasts shaped like a belly button protruding from a pregnant woman’s stomach.

So, I was the weird one and they never failed to remind me of that. When I got sick of all the terrible attention I got, I invented the wrapper mystery and thankfully, everyone forgot about me.

Till Koko did what she did, I will tell you.

My school is situated in the middle of thick buses and because it was underdeveloped, we had only one pit toilet meant for the principal and special staff members. The rest of the school found other creative ways to answer the call of nature. 

It was school dismissal but the bole and beans I had for lunch had other plans. While people evacuated the compound, I scampered into the buses to feel alive again because my tummy was upset. 

Asides from the wrapper over my chest, I had a girdle button up above it which I had to undo so I could defecate comfortably.  Then I stooped low and got into business. 

But I knew something was off, in fact, two things were. First, my school bag was on my left foot and somehow, it was behind my leg and then I wasn’t only the one breathing. I could hear someone else panting. Then I held myself from breathing just to be sure...

Before I knew it, I found myself struggling for my school bag with Koko who eventually got hold of my bras and took to her heels with them.

“No! no! no! Koko! Please! Koko, I beg you in Jesus name please! I beg you!” I screamed as I followed after her not caring to clean up and not doing my wrapper thingy, I simply wore my school gown, held my dangling breasts and ran after Koko who seemed like she was having fun.

She was faster than me and before I could meet up, she had shown my king-sized bra to everyone who cared to see and I stood transfixed, while everyone laughed at me. Including Chuka, the boy I always gave my extra pen because I liked him. 

“Munachi, I wonder how you feel wearing a bra at your age! It must be a shame and burden! I can never be found even dead wearing a bra now!” Koko said mockingly before I seized the bra from her and ran home, not caring about anything else, I just wanted my bed with the pillows to cry under.

Even as I ran home, they chased after me while singing the mama JSS1 song like they always did. 

After that day, I feigned illness and stayed home for a week just to avoid any more embarrassment from school. Big mummy was busy with her market sales so all she did was give me food and drugs. Which made things better because there was nothing to explain.

That week Sunday during the evening service, I saw Koko kneel to pray.

I can swear that I saw a white bra peeking out from the purple blouse she wore.


To be continued. (Go read “Koko’s Scars The sequel)


Benecca’s Tales

2021

All Rights Reserved.


Picture credit: Any flip





AUTHOR’S NOTE

This thing called Body-shaming is one that every average human being regardless of age or size, experience.

The main character Munachi, is one that her struggles are very relatable because of how Insensitive people can be especially when it comes to other people’s body weight and sizes.

Nobody should have to live in a world where they’re made to feel bad about their bodies by other people, especially considering people are often critical enough of their own appearance.

If they did not ask for your opinion, keep the comments to yourself.

Do not be a Koko today.


All characters are virtual and inspired by the song, Up To Something by Nigerian Artiste, Mayorkun.

 

Feel free to share if you enjoyed the story❤️

Thank you for reading. 


Written by, Anakor Vanessa M.



Let’s talk in the comments, Can you relate to Munachi’s story?

P.S: You can choose the “Anonyomus” option before you comment if you want the information to remain confidential.

Comments

  1. I have learnt to live with myself the way I am cos I know nobody is perfect. Everybody have something they are not proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soo proud of you Anakor....btw it's Jemora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one dear, so interesting more grease

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the part you said you weren't the only one breathing, It made me burst into uncontrollable laughter 😂.
    I love the way write Mmeso❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovely piece of writing. Keep the good work up. More grease!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think in the comments. I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Njideka

  “If the sex ever gets painful, you can use this cloth to message that area with hot water. Very, very hot one eh? Do this so that your body can adapt very fast. You don't want your co-wives overshadowing you even before you start enjoying your husband. Inugo?” My mother said as she squeezed the white towel into my hand, it was obvious that I was reluctant to get a grip of it, but she couldn't care less.  Just before she left my room, she quickly turned around with a scowl on her face and said to me, “Njideka better stop frowning, o. You are getting married tomorrow, and it is a thing of pride for every woman. You will enjoy it, eh? You will!” she hesitated and kissed her teeth in frustration. “Now let me go and see how the cooking process is going, else they won’t make the onugbu soup just like how Mazi Egede your husband likes it. I don't want it to go wrong. See you later and please smile. You are making people gossip”.  She said the last sentence with, I believe, all t

Iya Ibeji

Dear reader, I should not be telling you this, but I hated my husband. No, I love him because he stretches my legs after a long day of carrying his twins around in my belly...but I hate him because I want money, plenty money.  I have Ugochi and Koko plus my twins coming along but Mide wouldn't find a better job. Life has not been rosy and with the twins on the way, he should make life better for us, abi? I mean who still farms in 2019?! O ma se o! ( It's a pity!) When he's not at the farm, he's in front of his depleted old computer irritating me with incessant keyboard taps. Dede, his elder brother visited the today, you had to see how Kikelomo his wife entered my mouth because of her new set of jewellery. Dede is a big trader in Oyo state and Kike, I don't know what she does, and I don't care... But she's the real deal! “Sims trust me, by the time the twins are here, we will be comfortable,” He told me one night after dinner. We were outdoors and the kids,

Breaking Free

  That Sunday evening, I sat in one corner of Papa's bedroom as I watched him scratch his bald head for the umpteenth time.  He would do this and kill imaginary mosquitoes in the air, vigorously slapping his palm against each other. Subsequently, he would pluck out the hairs from his beard and chew on them.  When he looked up and our eyes met for a split second, I could hardly see through his emotions, I could not tell if it was pain, resentment, a cry for help or the three of them at once. On other days when he wanted to be alone, he would sit outside under the mango tree, smoking cigarettes and talking to Pa Josef's goat. He never remained the same ever since Mama left home. It happened two months ago, and I remember the rain that day. It had just finished pouring and even though the clouds were dark and still moving across the sky eager to let down more tears, she stormed out of the house with my baby brother, Ahanna in her arms and never looked back.  I stood there in the