Skip to main content

Jumoke


Jumoke stood transfixed as she gazed at the gigantic crucifix when hung gracefully at the church’s altar. Maybe she was searching for a glint of approval or just a ‘go ahead’ sign from her maker. Her eyes would travel from the face of Jesus which hung at the crucifix, to the wounds by the side of his chest, to the ones on his feet.

She wondered if she was making a mistake leaving her husband Dami for good, or she should rather stay back and fight while enduring the pains just like Jesus did on his way to the cross. Staying back felt like the safest option because she thought about the stress of filing a divorce and ‘oh what will people say?’

Her eyes traveled around the church again and settled at the emblem of the three persons in one God. At least it made sense that Jesus suffered for a reason and was triumphant at the end of the day.

But in her case, she saw nothing worth fighting for. No feelings, no children, nothing. 

Swallowing hard and adjusting her hair tie; she opened the book of psalms to find soothing scriptures, but tears blinded her and soaked the Bible in a space of minutes. She closed it and tried the Bible app on her phone, then she saw the text message. One that, although she was expecting, she dreaded to see.

Jummy, I’ve filled the petition on your behalf. And I’d like you to come sign it, the earlier, the better so we can get this done. 

Barr Tessa.”

It felt so unreal but thinking that\"s what\"s best even though she didn’t get the ‘go-ahead’ sign from the Crucifix. She grabbed her car keys and walked to her car. Legs wobbling, palms sweating,but mind almost made up. 

While stuck in traffic, she took time to look at people. She saw the gala hawker who has rugged jeans on and a white singlet that hugged his body due to the scorching sun and the heat of Asaba. His eyes were everywhere, searching for a wave or any sign from customers to get his attention. He walked through the cars a couple of times, still no one craved gala. The boy went back under the tree by the side of the road and settled down to two wraps of gala and cold Pepsi. 

Jumoke let out a slight smile and lowered the window of her car.

“Psst! Gala! Come see for me!” she said and seeing how he jumped with excitement, competing with the rest of the boys who sold gala in their tiger race. Jumoke didn’t care about who came first, all she cared was to see him happy and less frustrated.

Her journey continued, and she got to the law firm. Her face froze, and her heart skipped a beat when she saw the very familiar Black Venza car which brought back loads of memories, Dami’s car. She could still see her, seated at the front seat, romancing Dami’s full beards and feeding him ice cream. 

She wasn’t the first, Jumoke knew all of his girlfriends. But that one hit different because she was in the hospital and healing from an Appendix removal survey which almost claimed her life. She remembered leaving in the hospital that night and running like a madwoman to their hang-out spot. Trust her amebo friends to always give her gist. Just as he was driving out, Jumoke stood in front of the car without the fear of being killed. 

When the car halted and Dami scampered to her like a scared cat, all she did was push him away and took hold of the car keys.

It was his 41st birthday gift, and Jumoke regretted signs the receipt of that car she brought for him. 

A phone call came in, snapping her out of her head to real life.

“Yes I’m here. I’m sure Tessa. I’ll be right there with you in a jiffy”.

She had to do this. Now or later and later, might be worse.

Her eyes focused on Barr Tessa’s face as she made for the second visitor’s seat. Completely ignoring the person in the other one. She tried to put on a smile, no matter how fake it was.

“Tessa, good day. How’s it going?”

“Quite well, Jummy. How are you?” Barr, Tessa answered, her eyes studying Jumoke for a short while. Her lips were smiling, but the eyes told a different story.

Jumoke nodded severally before adding, “I’m good” in a husky voice. 

“Great! So let’s get to business. Like I said, one filled the…” Barr Tessa continued.

“Sorry, I need to say this,” Dami interrupted.

He turned to face who looked stone-faced and shook her head to Tessa in discomfort. 

Tessa gave her the ‘calm down’ gesture by placing her hand on her chest, she wasn’t ready for a hassle in her office. 

“Jummy. Do you really want to do this? Because I don’t. I cannot wrap my head around not having you in my life anymore. You want to throw away 7 years of marriage even while we\"re trying for a…”

And Jumoke blanked out. She could not hear anything else he was saying. Her mind wandered back to the church and how she was reminded that Jesus suffered and endured for a valid reason. She also remembered the gala boy, who when he didn’t see any sign of hope decided to take a break. Because sometimes, you cannot force things anymore.


“Give me a pen,” she mumbled.


Benecca’s Tales


2021


All Rights Reserved.


Author’s Note

Writing ‘Jumoke’ really put me in a tight spot because I could imagine what some marriages go through. Especially in this generation.

It\"s sad that, one thing that was created and made to be beautiful is one major source of people’s unhappiness. People dread marriages and many rush into it unprepared, I don\"t know much about being married; but one thing I know is this:

The worst thing to do is to fight without knowing what you are fighting for. 

All characters of this story are virtual and inspired by the song, ‘Celia’s song’ by Nigerian Artiste, Tiwa Savage.



Photo credit: Unsplash




Written by, Anakor Vanessa for Benecca’s Tales

Comments

  1. Was really nice and interesting❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see growth in this story. You are evolving and breaking boundaries with this talent. The world is not ready🔥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the topic you address with this story. And that Celia’s song?
    Just got to listen to it. Love eet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really...... Real. . great and epic more pen to ur palms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think in the comments. I love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Njideka

  “If the sex ever gets painful, you can use this cloth to message that area with hot water. Very, very hot one eh? Do this so that your body can adapt very fast. You don't want your co-wives overshadowing you even before you start enjoying your husband. Inugo?” My mother said as she squeezed the white towel into my hand, it was obvious that I was reluctant to get a grip of it, but she couldn't care less.  Just before she left my room, she quickly turned around with a scowl on her face and said to me, “Njideka better stop frowning, o. You are getting married tomorrow, and it is a thing of pride for every woman. You will enjoy it, eh? You will!” she hesitated and kissed her teeth in frustration. “Now let me go and see how the cooking process is going, else they won’t make the onugbu soup just like how Mazi Egede your husband likes it. I don't want it to go wrong. See you later and please smile. You are making people gossip”.  She said the last sentence with, I believe, all t

Iya Ibeji

Dear reader, I should not be telling you this, but I hated my husband. No, I love him because he stretches my legs after a long day of carrying his twins around in my belly...but I hate him because I want money, plenty money.  I have Ugochi and Koko plus my twins coming along but Mide wouldn't find a better job. Life has not been rosy and with the twins on the way, he should make life better for us, abi? I mean who still farms in 2019?! O ma se o! ( It's a pity!) When he's not at the farm, he's in front of his depleted old computer irritating me with incessant keyboard taps. Dede, his elder brother visited the today, you had to see how Kikelomo his wife entered my mouth because of her new set of jewellery. Dede is a big trader in Oyo state and Kike, I don't know what she does, and I don't care... But she's the real deal! “Sims trust me, by the time the twins are here, we will be comfortable,” He told me one night after dinner. We were outdoors and the kids,

Breaking Free

  That Sunday evening, I sat in one corner of Papa's bedroom as I watched him scratch his bald head for the umpteenth time.  He would do this and kill imaginary mosquitoes in the air, vigorously slapping his palm against each other. Subsequently, he would pluck out the hairs from his beard and chew on them.  When he looked up and our eyes met for a split second, I could hardly see through his emotions, I could not tell if it was pain, resentment, a cry for help or the three of them at once. On other days when he wanted to be alone, he would sit outside under the mango tree, smoking cigarettes and talking to Pa Josef's goat. He never remained the same ever since Mama left home. It happened two months ago, and I remember the rain that day. It had just finished pouring and even though the clouds were dark and still moving across the sky eager to let down more tears, she stormed out of the house with my baby brother, Ahanna in her arms and never looked back.  I stood there in the